Monday, July 26, 2021
HomeMan bailed in Stuart Lubbock murder probe after new information prompted arrest

Man bailed in Stuart Lubbock murder probe after new information prompted arrest

[ad_1]

A man arrested on suspicion of the murder and indecent assault of Stuart Lubbock at the home of entertainer Michael Barrymore 20 years ago has been released on bail.

Essex Police said the man, 50 – who has not been named, was arrested in Cheshire on Wednesday after “significant new information” came to light.

He was subsequently released on bail until April 12.

Butcher Mr Lubbock, 31, had been attending a party at Barrymore’s luxury home in Roydon with eight other people on March 31 2001 when he died.

Police said they would contact all of those at the party in the coming days following the arrest, and warned: “We know that not everyone was responsible for what happened, but someone was.”

Responding to the breakthrough in the case, Mr Lubbock’s 76-year-old father Terry who is terminally ill, told the PA news agency: “There is just so much going on in my head, I can’t get my head around it.

“Of course I’m happy.

“Of course this is good news.

“But it’s been 20 years.

“This has nearly killed me.”

Terry Lubbock, father of Stuart Lubbock (Danny Lawson/PA) / PA Archive

Speaking outside Essex Police headquarters in Chelmsford, Detective Superintendent Lucy Morris said: “The arrest comes after significant new information came to light following our renewed appeal for information and offer of an enhanced reward, which coincided with a major TV documentary broadcast in February 2020.

“This information has led to us making an arrest and over the coming days we will be contacting all those who were present at the party at the time as well as others who may have information.

“We believe someone or some people at that party know what happened.”

She added: “We have never given up on finding out exactly what happened to Stuart, and we will not stop in our pursuit of justice.”

And in a renewed appeal for further information, she added: “Now is the time to come forward.”

Last year’s Channel 4 documentary about the case prompted Barrymore, 68, to issue a fresh denial of any wrongdoing, saying: “I have had nothing to do with this whatsoever and yet I keep getting bashed and bullied by the media.”

Barrymore was criticised for leaving his home soon after Mr Lubbock was found floating in the outside pool.

[ad_2]

Source link

RELATED ARTICLES
- Advertisment -

Most Popular

Recent Comments

%d bloggers like this: