Monday, April 19, 2021
HomeTimeline of Sarah Everard’s disappearance

Timeline of Sarah Everard’s disappearance


Detectives investigating the disappearance of Sarah Everard have charged a Met officer with murder and kidnap.

The 33-year-old marketing executive went missing after leaving a friend’s house in Clapham at about 9pm on March 3.

Wayne Couzens, 48, was arrested on Tuesday in connection with Ms Everard’s disappearance. He was taken to hospital with a head injury on Thursday before being returned to his cell.

On Friday, police confirmed the body found in a Kent woodland is that of the Ms Everard.

Here is a timeline of the key events in her disappearance and the police investigation so far.

Wednesday, March 3

The 33-year-old marketing executive goes missing after leaving a friend’s house in Clapham, south London, around 9pm.

She was last seen wearing a green rain jacket, navy blue trousers with a white diamond pattern and turquoise and orange trainers, and was thought to have been wearing green earphones and a white beanie hat.

It was reported she made a 15-minute phone call to her boyfriend making plans to meet up the next day as she headed to her home in Brixton.

CCTV footage of Sarah Everard captured earlier on the night she went missing. A serving police officer has been arrested in connection with her disappearance

/ PA Media

March 6

Police release a CCTV image of her, saying she was thought to have walked through Clapham Common after leaving her friend’s flat, heading towards her home in Brixton, a journey which should have taken around 50 minutes.

March 7

Police say it is unclear whether or not she reached her house.

Scotland Yard says the investigation is being led by its Specialist Crime Command because of the “complex nature” of the probe, which combines searches with house-to-house inquiries.

Her uncle Nick Everard said while the police are doing everything they can, “not knowing what has happened after four days is agonising”.

“If someone is holding her against her will I would plead with them just to be human and to let her come home, to let her talk to us, give us a ring or text to let us know she is OK,” he told The Sun.

“These are desperate times for the family. We know the police are doing everything they can but it’s the not knowing what has happened after four days is agonising”.

March 8

Scotland Yard says it remains “open minded as to all possibilities” over Ms Everard’s disappearance, while confirming a missing persons investigation.

Specialist officers are drafted in from across the Metropolitan Police force. Police say they have received more than 120 calls from the public on the case, and ask anyone who may have relevant dashcam or other footage to come forward.

A source close to the investigation told the Standard: “It’s like she just disappeared into thin air (after the last CCTV sighting). We think she went up Poynders Road because it’s usually busy and safer than the back routes.”

On International Women’s Day her boyfriend posted an emotional appeal for the safe return of Sarah. He wrote on Facebook: “Sarah is still missing. Please share this post to help us to find her. Today, more than ever, we miss our strong, beautiful friend.”

March 9

Police use sniffer dogs to search gardens in streets around the search site near Ms Everard’s envisaged route home and in the nearby Oaklands Estate. Officers also search a pond in Clapham Common and drains along the A205.

Police also release fresh images of Ms Everard – wearing the coat in which she disappeared – as they appeal for the public’s help. Later in the day, the Met sets up a cordon around the Poynders Court housing complex on Poynders Road as part of the search, with forensics officers seen examining the area.

Uber began using smartphone software to pinpoint which of its drivers were in the area when Sarah vanished.

Tracking data is helping to identify if any of the tech giant’s 45,000 London cabbies were close to the South Circular Road in Clapham

Ms Everard’s uncle Nick told the Standard: “The family are absolutely distraught today and it’s getting worse as the days go on, we still have no more information.

“I don’t know London well but I fear there could have been some bad people about who approached her. The family are searching with Sarah’s friends who have been absolutely amazing.”

The search for Ms Everard included Mount Pond on Clapham Common

/ PA Wire

11.59pm, March 9

Assistant Commissioner Nick Ephgrave says the fact the man is a serving police officer “is both shocking and deeply disturbing”.

“We will continue to work with all speed on this investigation but the fact that the arrested man is a serving Metropolitan Police officer is both shocking and deeply disturbing.

“I understand there will be significant public concern but it is essential that the investigative team are given the time and space to continue their work.”

Scotland Yard says a woman has also been arrested at the same location on suspicion of assisting an offender.

Police search teams work their way through the reeds in Mount Pond on Clapham Common

/ Getty Images

The man and the woman are taken into custody. Detective Chief Inspector Katherine Goodwin says the force is still “doing everything we can to find Sarah”.

She added: “This is a significant development in our inquiry. This is a fast-moving investigation and we are doing everything we can to find Sarah.

“We have seen an overwhelming response from the public and I repeat my request for anyone with information that may be relevant to come forward, no matter how insignificant it may seem.”

March 10 – daytime

Mr Ephgrave said the serving Metropolitan Police officer arrested over the disappearance of Ms Everard was not on duty at the time she vanished.

Speaking to journalists outside Scotland Yard on Wednesday, he said: “Our inquiries suggest that this officer was not on duty at the time of Sarah’s disappearance.”

Mr Ephgrave would not say if the officer was known to Ms Everard, or what he had been arrested for. He also said investigators “really hope” that the 33-year-old is still alive.

March 10 – evening

The force announced at around 3pm that the officer had been arrested on suspicion of kidnap, before being further arrested on suspicion of murder.

Later that evening, Met Commissioner Cressida Dick said “human remains” had been found in the search for Ms Everard.

The discovery was made in an area of woodland in Ashford in Kent.

“We are not able to confirm any identity. That may take some considerable time,” she added.

Ms Everard’s disappearance in “awful and wicked circumstances” are every family’s nightmare, Ms Dick added.

She said Londoners should know that it is “thankfully incredibly rare” for a woman to be abducted from the capital’s streets.

The commissioner added her thoughts are with Ms Everard’s family.

March 11

The Metropolitan Police officer suspected of kidnapping and murdering Ms Everard was taken to hospital for a head injury sustained while in custody.

Scotland Yard said the suspect, who is in his 40s, was treated, discharged and returned to the police station where he is being held.

According to the Sun newspaper, he was found collapsed and unconscious in his cell on Thursday after suffering serious head wounds.

He remains in custody after an application to extend his detention was granted at Wimbledon Magistrates’ Court, Scotland Yard said.

In a statement released on their behalf by the Metropolitan Police, the 33-year-old marketing executive’s family appealed for information to help the force’s investigation.

They said: “Our beautiful daughter Sarah was taken from us and we are appealing for any information that will help to solve this terrible crime.

“Sarah was bright and beautiful – a wonderful daughter and sister. She was kind and thoughtful, caring and dependable. She always put others first and had the most amazing sense of humour.

“She was strong and principled and a shining example to us all. We are very proud of her and she brought so much joy to our lives.

Meanwhile, the police watchdog launched an investigation into whether Metropolitan Police officers “responded appropriately” to a report of indecent exposure following referrals linked to the Sarah Everard case.

The Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) said its independent probe follows a “conduct referral” from the force in relation to two officers, which was received on Wednesday night. This is linked to four other referrals, and all are connected to the arrest of the serving Metropolitan Police officer.

The IOPC said in a statement on Thursday night that its investigation will look at the actions of the Met after police received a report on February 28 that “a man had exposed himself at a fast food restaurant in South London”.

March 12

Metropolitan Police Assistant Commissioner Nick Ephgrave told reporters outside Scotland Yard on Friday: “The body has now been recovered and a formal identification procedure has been undertaken. I can now confirm that it is the body of Sarah Everard.

“Clearly Sarah’s family have been updated with this most distressing news.

“I just want to pause for a moment and say that my thoughts and prayers, and those of the entire organisation, remain with her and with them at this awful time.”

The force announced shortly after 9pm that serving police constable Wayne Couzens had been charged with kidnapping and killing the marketing executive.

He is due to appear at Westminster Magistrates’ Court on Saturday.


Source link



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisment -

Most Popular

Recent Comments